In This Life, I Will Be The Lord Chapter 241


﹡ ⊰  Chapter 241  ⊱ ⊹ ﹡


You said you had a prior engagement... So it was with Ramona.

It was the first thought that came into my mind.

As soon as the meeting was over, you rushed out without greeting me. It seems you were in a hurry to meet Ramona.

That was my second thought.

I'm getting emotional.

It's rather funny that something like resentment towards Perez unknowingly struck me. And I admit, it hurts to see him walking beside Ramona.

"They look so good together." 

Someone behind me said that. If I turn my head, I can see who it was. But for some reason, I couldn't take my eyes off of Perez and Ramona.

"I gather Lady Braun and the Second Prince were very close since their time at the Academy, right?"

"That's right. In the Academy, rumors that the two were in a relationship were spreading..." Chairman Killian proudly talked about the rumors he picked up somewhere and stopped talking.

It was because Lord Widago, a younger central region aristocrat, nervously tapped the tactless Chairman Killian on the shoulder.

"Hmm? What's wrong?"

However, Chairman Killian was more tactless than I thought. But he instantly realized what he'd done, however.

"Ah, the Deputy Head of Lombardy is not someone who cares about something like this."

Something like this?

"They have never announced the dissolution of their engagement, but it must have already been sorted out among the parties. Am I right, Deputy Head Lombardy?"

Chairman Killian was right. Perez and I were not officially broken off.

Not yet, though.

Of course, it was already expected when I became the Deputy Head of Lombardy.

"...That's right." I replied with an utmost calm voice.

"Look at that!" Chairman Killian exclaimed, giving me a look full of trust.

"Our Deputy Head of Lombardy is not one to be swayed by personal feelings!"

Even though Chairman Killian continued to say the right things, every single word began to bother my ears.

He was crossing the line.

Even though I have the title 'Deputy Head Lombardy' before my name, my life story keeps pouring out from their mouths as if the words taste like their favorite food.

"As expected of Lombardy—"

"Stop." In a low voice, I interrupted Chairman Killian.

When I looked away from Perez and turned towards the Chairman, I saw a rather embarrassed face.

I wasn't smiling anymore. I looked at Chairman Killian with an impassive face.

I'm sure you understand why I told you to stop.

I said with a moderately polite smile again.

"Should we spend our time here talking like this? Let's head over to the restaurant now. And His Highness... " I glanced at Ramona and Perez, who were still walking side by side and having a conversation as I speak.

"It's quite embarrassing knowing that we're watching them and talking about them, don't you think so?"

"Ah, hahaha..."

At my words, the nobles laughed awkwardly and nodded.

"You're right."

"Exactly. Let's get out of here!"

The nobles and I turned a little out of the way from the direction Perez and Ramona were heading.

While we were walking, I kept feeling empty as if there was a big hole in the middle of my heart, but I struggled to shake off that feeling.

I need to get used to it since I chose Lombardy.

Perez will be the Emperor and the Emperor needs an Empress. So one day, someone will fill that seat next to Perez. 

Someone other than me. 

And Ramona was a really good choice.

Braun is a loyal family that no one can object to, and now she has a glorious return. She will be able to support Perez, whose political base is weak.

It will also play a part that Ramona is a very good person since she's a strong and sincere one.

Even at a glance, anyone can tell that she likes Perez very much.

You need to get used to it.

I once again recollected myself.

At that time, I remembered what Perez whispered to me in the Knights Building's Office.

"Like this, I will put my lips on the Deputy Head. I'm the only one who can do this. It must be me. Only me and no one else."

I felt Perez's temperature while holding me tight as if he would never let me go

"Haa.." I let out a small sigh before smoothing my hair and pretending to look indifferent.

If I didn't do that, it seemed like my heart, which had become a mess, would be revealed on my face.

Look, you can do it.

At that moment, I suddenly felt the confidence that I didn't know where it came from.

In the future, whenever I'm having a hard time like this, I'll take a deep breath and let it go.

I can live without seeing Perez my whole life.

I looked at Perez for the last time before we went completely in different ways.

I will be able to breathe more. Yeah, it'll get better one day.

Time will solve it all...

However, I stopped walking without realizing it. As I saw Perez's face, I stiffened.

Is he smiling at Ramona?

***

Perez left the conference hall where the parliamentary meeting was held and tried to let go of his regret.

'It's been a while since I saw you.'

It was very regrettable that he couldn't meet Tia's eyes and greet her properly at the end.

"I will move on to my next appointment by myself." Perez spoke to the aides who are following him wherever he goes these days.

"I'm going to have a meeting with my colleagues at the Academy. I'll meet you all up again in an hour."

He was heading to a place to meet Ramona and the other three members of the Academy to receive reports about what happened in the past few days that are beyond Perez's awareness.

The aide, who thought it was simply a private meeting between close friends, stepped aside like the others and replied.

"Yes, Your Highness."

Perez kept walking, only looking forward.

On the outside, it looked like he was exuding cold air more than the winter wind with his expressionless face. But only thoughts about Tia were all in his mind.

'You seem to have gotten a bit thinner.'

It was all part of Perez's plan to take over all the Emperor's duties and keep everyone from feeling the vacancy Jovanes left.

For a very short time, Perez had to make sure that the Empire could not run in full function without him.

"Haa." Perez sighed uncharacteristically.

The dawn-to-dusk work was tiring but bearable.

Fortunately, Jovanes was not a very good Emperor, so it was easy to fill the hole.

It was Tia who actually bothered Perez. To be precise, he couldn't even sleep because he misses her.

He wanted to ride a horse over the wall of Lombardy's mansion at dawn. However, he couldn't because he was warned not to do so anymore.

It was during the day when he read the documents that Tia sent him about the liquidation of Angenas' assets that gave him a breather.

Although the contents were only business-like matters, such as what was disposed of and how much it cost, Perez seemed to be working right next to Tia all day long, as if he could hear her voice from each line.

"Your Highness."

While thinking of Tia, Perez, who had no idea who was approaching him, heard a rather familiar voice.

"Lady Ramona Braun."

It happened to be Ramona getting off the carriage.

"The place of appointment is over there, Your Highness." In a calm voice, Ramona pointed a little differently from the direction Perez was heading.

"Ah."

He didn't even know where he was going because he was thinking about Tia.

"Let's go together." Ramona said as she noticed that something was different and guided Perez to the meeting place first.

While walking together, there was not much conversation between the two. They only talked briefly about sword training.

At that time, Ramona broached cautiously.

"I am officially joining the Imperial Knights next week."

"Congratulations. You've achieved your goal."

"Thank you." Ramona smiled and bowed slightly before she added.

"But that's not my dream."

"You've changed your mind?"

Ramona's dream since she was at the Academy was to regain her identity and for the Braun family to become a part of the Imperial Knights once again like their predecessors.

"Yes. When I saw Lady Firentia, I made up my mind and decided to follow in her footsteps." Ramona smiled shyly and continued. "Maybe sometime next year, I will succeed the Braun family."

"... It's quite unexpected."

He didn't know that Ramona had such a dream.

Ramona said she would be happy if she could solve her family's injustice and hold a sword for the rest of her life.

"Seeing Lady Firentia proudly succeeding to the Deputy Head position gave me courage. I'm the only one my father has, but I don't think anyone deserves to be the next great Braun Head as much as I do." Ramona spoke with confidence.

Her disposition resembled Tia in some ways, so Perez nodded his head.

"That's a good thing."

"I think there will be many people like me in the future. Because she has set a precedent that even if she is a woman as long as she has the ability, she can lead a family." Ramona's eyes twinkled as she said so.

"Lady Firentia is a great person. Wise, beautiful, and powerful."

It wasn't flattery. Ramona just genuinely likes Tia.

"I don't know how many times I've been impressed by her kindness to the people below her."

"Tia has been like that since she was a kid." Perez said, nodding his head several times now.

"Ah, I see."

"That's one of the reasons why there are always so many talented people next to Tia. Do you know Alpheo Jean?"

"You mean the famous sculptor?"

"Yes, he also said that Tia noticed him when she was very young and recommended him to the Head of Lombardy. At that time, he was just learning to work as a carpenter in the Lombardy family."

Perez was proud. Because he can tell Ramona something about Tia that she doesn't know yet. He was heedful of the fact that he knew more about Tia.

"Tia is that kind of person. Generous to the weak, strict to the coward..."

With that said, Perez recalled the moment he first met Tia.

The image of little Tia looking like a fairy and suddenly appearing from behind the forest was still visible in his eyes.

How bright she looked at that time.

Perez even thought that he was hallucinating and saw an illusion.

"Stop it! What the hell are you doing?! Why are you eating that grass?!"

He could still hear her clear childlike voice.

When he recalled what happened at that time, Perez felt his heart pounding. As a result, the corners of his mouth, which had always been stiff, were loosened and a smile came out.

"Lady Firentia?"

Just then, Ramona found Tia standing up ahead of them. She stood with the most powerful noblemen in the Empire.

"Tia." Perez unwittingly approached her, calling her name.

However.

"... Tia?"

Something was strange.

The way she looked at him was the first time Perez had ever seen. It was cold and stiff that even a single needle would unlikely fit in.

Perez's heart sank.

His heart, which had been pounding pleasantly a little while ago, trembled nervously.

"See you again at the restaurant."

Tia spoke to the nobles around her, then quickly turned around and started walking away.

She didn't even look at Perez again.

"Oh, yeah, sure." Chairman Killian said in a bit of bewilderment.

Before Perez could do anything, Tia was marching away towards her carriage.

Watching her back as she walked away, Perez felt fear that he had never felt when he was chased by an assassin.

His body seemed to be cut in half with an invisible sword.

"Damn it." Perez murmured and hurriedly chased after Tia.

Something is terribly wrong.

A stream of cold sweat flowed down his back.


PREV          |         TOC         |         NEXT
In This Life, I Will Be The Lord Chapter 241 In This Life, I Will Be The Lord Chapter 241 Reviewed by Admin on March 21, 2022 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.