I'm Done Being Your Best Friend! Chapter 8

IDBYBF | Chapter 8

My goodness. I was so dumbstruck because I never thought she was this consistent in both the past and the present. I'd already vied Logan's attention, so this scene would never occur, but my efforts were in vain.

I sighed inwardly. I don't know what you're aiming for, Daisy. All you did was being a burden back there, so how could you tell a lie like this in front of me?

In the past, I acted like a fool and allowed myself to be treated as one. I hadn't dared to let the truth be known and only stood thinking what Daisy said was a bit strange.

Daisy must have said these absurd lies because she knew I would only stand quietly on the side. However, you're making a big mistake if you expect me to just grin and bear it like a good friend.

My goal from the beginning was to make sure Daisy wouldn't get invited in return for saving the Duke's life and ultimately ruin her future plan of becoming a Duchess. Therefore, I must make things clear right here, right now.

I began to giggle, interrupting the conversation between the two.

"Oh, Daisy, you frau—funny girl. You almost collapsed from the blood, so how can you save Logan?”

"..... What?"

Daisy smile hardened at that very moment. You haven't suspected me of uncovering the truth, have you?

But her dim expression quickly gone in a matter of seconds and returned to her usual cheerful self. She laughed and started to feign innocence.

"When did I do that? I don't remember."

"Goodness, Daisy. Don't you remember? After I found Logan and asked for help, you screamed, 'Oh no, blood!' and then you tripped on your own feet and fell."

Like nothing before, I speak my mind, just like that, shockingly forthcoming in front of Daisy. My claim comes off a bit off-putting, but it's nothing nastier than your deceit. How long do you intend me to stay being a good friend?

Daisy's face gradually turned cold the more I speak. She just stood wordlessly, unable to challenge me and deny my claims. 

"I'm so surprised that you can't remember. I found him, and Sir Bolt carried him on his back. Do you have a bad memory, perhaps? Are you alright?"

“......”

Daisy's face then turned into absolute bewilderment when she glanced at me with a hint of annoyance.

On the other hand, Logan was giving Daisy an icy stare, a clear disparity to his fiery red eyes.

After that, the entire room had become still and dreary as if time had stopped. The sunlight glowered through the open window, and songbirds twittered happily outside— a direct contrast to the tension simmering inside the room. Soon after, the one who broke the silence was Daisy with her sudden laughter.

"Oh, Sienna, you jest. It's not like that."

Oh, Daisy, no matter how much you struggle after that, your efforts will be futile. Logan will never put you in his good books. Ever. 

As she looked at me with a bright smile yet a bit strained, I met her gaze shamelessly and smiled.

When I looked back at Logan to observe his reaction, I was nearly taken aback. Even though he was smiling along with us, it looks menacing. His eyes were cold, emotionless.

I don't think it used to be this bad. Was it because Daisy was caught lying? I couldn't figure out what was on his mind.

To my surprise, Daisy had been able to regain her composure and nonchalantly brush off her deceit like it was of no importance. What's your skin made of? Daisy was undeterred, facing Logan's stare head-on, and told him again.

"Anyway, stay a little longer. That would be for your own good."

"No, I'm fine. I don't want to impose on others and cause any more trouble."

"You aren't making any trouble. You said you were traveling? Are you uncomfortable here?"

"Not at all. I don't have any more reason to stay at Marquisate, and I already arranged accommodation at the inn."

Logan's responses were hasty, and he was adamant in turning down every offer of Daisy. No, it feels even more determined than before.

I watched them alternately with amusement. Daisy, now gone with her usual smile, was staring at him with a frown.

You don't like this situation, do you? Of course, since I made you uneasy, and even Logan, whom you thought was a commoner, was taking a firm stand.

When things don't go her way, she would surely get annoyed. Hence, Daisy's patience waned, and her control slipped.

"Logan. Why do you keep on refusing my favors? You don't have a horse because it ran away so I'll give you one. You can't refuse a nobleman's favor, so take it. Let me know if the room is comfortable or not, and I'll transfer you to a better place.”

'You can't refuse a nobleman's favor...'

Once again, I was dumbfounded. Daisy's words weren't amusing anymore. In fact, they annoyed me. Although she sounds generous, it seemed like she's abusing her authority as a noble.

Furthermore, what right does she have to offer horses and rooms? One might think Daisy was the next of kin of House Nelson.

Have you forgotten I'm still here? It was a blatant act of disrespect towards me.

In the old days, I would have thought that Daisy cared about his health and safety, but not anymore. Knowing Daisy's true nature, every word she said was very annoying.

But I couldn't express my displeasure, not when the Duke was in front of me. I followed along and lent Daisy a hand even though I didn't want to and said as gently as I could.

"Yes, I'll talk to my grandmother and arrange a horse. The head of this castle is my grandmother, so I have to get permission from her first."

Logan turned his head and looked at me. His face seemed to relax, and he was opening his mouth as if he was hesitating whether to accept or not.

Was he hesitating because he refused too many times? However, he finally nodded after a while.

"Well then, excuse us for a moment."

I thought we'd talked to the patient for too long, so I dragged Daisy out of the room.

As soon as we left the room, Daisy suddenly pulled me by the wrist. The hand that had grabbed my wrist was obviously trembling.

Oh, now you're showing me what you truly are.

"Sienna, I need to talk to you for a minute."

"Okay."

I answered coldly with my head held high. Do you think I'd be scared if you set your tone like that?

I came back from the gates of hell and suffered until I was thirty, and this one in front of me was merely an 18-year-old noble girl who had never suffered before. There's no way I'm going to be scared of you.

I calmly preceded her to my room with proud steps. Immediately after I closed the door, Daisy pressed me for an answer.

"What's wrong with you?"

The girl who smiled like an angel and brought life wherever she went was now hardening her face and glaring at me. With her face like that, even if she spoke softly, she looked hardly agreeable. If it were me of the past who knew nothing, I would have been intimidated.

But now, I was by no means scared of her. It was why I went against Daisy's nerves and dared to embarrassed her earlier. I retorted back with my arms crossed.

"What do you mean 'what's wrong'?"

"Didn't you humiliate me in front of that guy? I'm so embarrassed. You didn't like it so much when I said I saved him?”

Daisy stared hard at me as though she couldn't believe that the once timid and naive girl had negated her words and risen in opposition.

"Yes." I said, challenging her stare. I held my ground and refused to back down.

"What?"
I'm Done Being Your Best Friend! Chapter 8 I'm Done Being Your Best Friend! Chapter 8 Reviewed by Admin on July 22, 2020 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.