In This Life, I Will Be The Lord Chapter 214



﹡ ⊰  Chapter 214  ⊱ ⊹ ﹡


"Though things are going in favor of His Highness the Second Prince, it is the Emperor who eventually makes the final decision."

Lord Bray, who was listening in silence, said, "Also, even though the Angenas have been demoralized and their lands reduced, isn't the representative family of the West still the Angenas?"

"I think so too."

Lord Herringa also agreed with his statement.

"If the lands owned by the Angenas and Brauns are now about the same size, the Emperor will favor the Angenas."

Everyone seemed to agree.

Because Angenas was still the Empress's family.

"No, the representative of the West will change."

No matter what the outcome of the meeting, it will change.

But at my words, Lord Herringa shook his head.

"It's going to be difficult under the current situation, Lady Firentia." His words were polite but with certainty.

"It's going to change."

"Even if it's difficult?"

"Oh yes, it will change."

"Even if you say so, it will be difficult!"

Oh, now we're getting a little emotional.

I smiled a little bitterly and asked.

"Then do you want to make a bet with me, Lord Herringa?"

"?!"

As the atmosphere becomes like this, the lords of the vassal families started asking me questions freely.

"Then can I hear what you think of the other regions of the Empire except for the West?"

It was Romassie Dillard who just asked. As a man who runs Lombardy's merchant guild throughout the Empire, he knows how to look at the bigger picture.

"The most worrying thing is the South."

"If it's in the South, do you mean the Sousseau?"

"Yes, currently, Sousseau's grain business has been spreading throughout the Empire. The West, in particular, is accustomed to lower grain prices because of the close agreement between the Empress and the Head of Sousseau. But what will happen when the Head of Sousseau raises the price of grain?"

"Uh..." Murmurs flowed throughout the room.

"Of course, I am not just talking about the financial gains from price differences. There's something more frightening than that."

"It's the initiative seized by Sousseau in the trade." Dillard said, rubbing his beard.

"Yes, that's right. There's no other place in the South that can produce large amounts of grain right now without worrying about the drought."

Everyone nodded as they agreed with me.

"Then what about the East and the North?"

"There will be no big change in the North for the time being. The new Head of Ivan has just been instated and they're still recovering from the devastating damage caused by the landslides. Also, the East..."

I once again looked at Dillard and said, "The leader of the merchant guild needs to work harder."

Hearing my thorny words, Dillard pressed his lips tightly.

"I don't know what it would be like to use unpleasant words at a place like this, but my Grandfather told me to answer honestly."

"Yes, you should." My grandfather laughed satisfactorily.

"Carrying on, how many upper branches of Lombardy are currently located in the East?"

"Five."

"I see. I was expecting ten branches by now."

"...My apologies." said Dillard as his eyebrows narrowed slightly.

"It's definitely worth reflecting on the fact that we have not yet taken the initiative in the Eastern trade from the Pellets. Is the merchant guild leader of Lombardy behind in the scale and funds compared to the leader of the Pellets?"

Even though it's my company.

The Pellet Company is still smaller compared to the merchant guild of Lombardy.

However, it was a serious matter that Lombardy's merchant guild had not yet taken the initiative in an important trading market like the East.

"I heard that Lord Dillard is currently looking for a successor. Your first-born son has been running the merchant guild for the past few years, isn't that right? Is it because of that?"

If so, then it only means that his eldest son is not qualified to lead the merchant guild of Lombardy.

I asked the next question without waiting for an answer.

"The Pellet Company has secured three ports in Chesail Harbor and we know it will increase to four by next month. So how many designated ports do we have at the merchant guild of Lombardy?"

"Two..." Dillard's voice was a little somber.

"Lord Dillard." I said with a smile, though, with courtesy. "I don't have to tell you more, you know that, right?"

"...I will take responsibility." Dillard replied, bowing his head completely in front of me, even though he was known for his fastidious attitude and stiffness.

At that time, the Head of the Devon family, Klang Devon, called me with a little hesitation.

"Lady Firentia, may I ask you a question that might seem a bit rude?"

"Yes, go ahead."

"If you officially become the Deputy Head and the successor....what will happen to your engagement to the Second Prince?"

Everyone looks at me eagerly, turning their heads in curiosity.

Ah, that...

I reflexively curled the corners of my mouth a little. I should be smiling right now, not the opposite.

Although, I also felt a bit of anxiety.

"The most important thing for me is Lombardy."

I tried to speak as calmly as possible.

"I will never abandon Lombardy."

I heard Klang Devon exhaling a small sigh of relief.

After that, several questions came and went. There was nothing difficult for me to answer.

"Then I'll ask you the last question." My grandfather said, taking himself off the back of the chair.

"Lombardy is the closest family to the Imperial family, but at the same time, is the only family that can keep them in check. The aristocrats of the Empire depend on us a lot."

That's right.

No aristocrat wants the Emperor to wield all of its power at will.

"But at the same time, they don't want Lombardy to have more power than the Imperial family. Because we already have a lot."

My grandfather's words made all the vassal lords laugh a little.

"But, as you said, if the Second Prince becomes the Crown Prince and rises as the Emperor in the future, there will be voices of concern that the Head of Lombardy and the Emperor are too close. The Head of Lombardy can do whatever she wants to the Emperor, so it looks like she holds a dangerous power. What do you think about this matter?"

My grandfather was already asking, assuming that Perez became the Emperor and when I became the Head, not just a successor.

I was lost in thought.

However, the worries were not that long.

"First and foremost, Lombardy is not just any other family, asking permission from the other noble families in the Empire. There is no reason for me to soothe their worries."

"Uhuh, that's right."

"But their 'fear' is definitely something to be wary of."

"Fear?"

"It doesn't matter if Lombardy's power is an object of envy and jealousy to the nobles, but if it becomes a threat, unnecessary noise can arise."

Sole power does not last long.

Because Lombardy's strength comes from maintaining its current position as a representative of the nobilities.

"But I'm not too worried. Because over time, the nobles will find that I am wise and competent. But if they still express hostility, then I would put them through the wringer."

I watched the nobles sitting around and finally made eye contact with my grandfather.

"I wonder if there ever seems to be someone on the throne that Lombardy didn't allow to sit?"

Grandfather didn't say anything for a moment. He was just looking at me with a smile as always.

And at some point, the smile grew deeper and my grandfather looked back at the vassals and said, "Can it be more perfect than this?"

***

"The official announcement will be made tomorrow. You've had a hard time, so go ahead and take a rest, Tia." My grandfather said as he patted my head.

"Yes, Grandpa."

I bade my grandfather and the vassals farewell before going out of the conference room.

"Haa.."

The tension that I had endured burst out along with a great heave of sigh.

In my hands were a heavy stack of documents handed by my grandfather.

Of course, these were things I had already read and learned in my previous life.

"Let's go back to my room."

I'm going to look through the documents just in case there's something I missed before.

I slowly started walking towards my room.

Today was like any other day.

The employees of the mansion, who bundled up in the chilly weather, saw me and greeted me with joy on their faces.

I also greeted them with a smile.

But as I walk, my body got heavier and heavier.

Like cotton in water, it was difficult to climb the stairs after some time.

When I finally arrived in my room, I even stumbled a little.

"Sigh.."

I leaned against the closed door behind my back and took breaths.

From the conference room to here, I just slowly walked a short distance.

Yet, I was exhausted as if I had been on a very long journey.

"Shall I take a break?"

Originally, I was thinking of going through the documents as soon as I arrived.

As I am now, it was obvious that even a single letter wouldn't come into my head.

I put the documents on the table and lay down on my bed with a heavy thud.

"I'll just take a short nap."

The moment I muttered those words, the feeling of fatigue as I lay on the soft blanket finally struck me with sleep.

It was already dark when I woke up and my mind was still in a haze.

As soon as I opened my eyes, I saw Perez right in front of me.

He was lying in my bed, facing me.

Red eyes were shining like jewels in the moonlight.

"Pretty." I muttered in a sigh.

"Is this a dream?"

But Perez didn't answer.

His eyes, which were always excited with joy whenever he saw me, were subdued.

It must be a dream.

I thought so and slowly reached out.

Soon, my palm touched Perez's cheek.

Looking back in the past.

Every day when something important happens, we lay face to face like this.

So was the day when Perez was rescued from the cold and crumbling palace and the day he found my father's cure.

Perez and I lay together like this and fell asleep side by side.

I spoke in a slightly dazed tone because of my somberness.

"I've officially become the Deputy Head. The succession will be announced tomorrow."

Then his still red lips moved slowly.

"Congratulations, Tia."

It was a deep voice.

"You have achieved your dream."

"Almost."

Still, I couldn't smile.

"Perez."

"Yes."

"I chose Lombardy."

Perez blinked his eyes.

"When the announcement is made, the fake engagement between you and me is over."

"I never thought it was fake."

"You know I can't be the Empress."

Without realizing it, we're having a pep talk.

"The Emperor cannot change the Imperial laws which will only apply to him."

Just as Jovanes couldn't escape monogamy even if he wanted to.

But his red eyes are only looking at me.

"I'm sorry, Perez."

"Why?"

When he asked me back, I hesitated for a moment.

And I brought up the words that I couldn't say to the real Perez.

"I'm sorry I like you."

But then he laughed.

A smile immediately spread on his hardened face that seems like a portrait.

"Why are you laughing?"

"Because you said you like me."

"... Dummy."

I'm so emotional. Something came up inside me.

"Don't you hate me?"

Instead of answering, Perez kissed my fingers with the tip of his lips, looking at me thoroughly with his eyes.

His temperature that tickled my fingertips was so regrettable that I dug into Perez's arms.

"Perez."

Just like what he did to me once. I rubbed my face in Perez's arm like a child.

I buried my face and mumbled where I could hear a low heartbeat.

"I don't regret it."

At the end of this life, I'll wish for the next life where I am next to you.

I'd like you to look at me again with those glimmering eyes.

I just want to hold your hand and find happiness in that warmth.

However, not in this life.

Because I'm going to be the Head of Lombardy.

"Tia."

Then Perez called me in a whisper.

"It's okay."

His hand stroked my head.

"Everything will be fine."

As if he were reading my mind, he whispered, "Don't worry about anything."

"Don't think about anything. Sleep a little longer. From hereafter, you'll get even busier."

At that moment, I almost fell asleep. But I woke up in a daze at his words.

"Trust me, and have a good night's dream."

I closed my eyes again to his gentle touch and soft voice soothing me. Feeling the warmth of Perez on the tip of my nose.

When I opened my eyes again, I was alone.

That afternoon, in the name of the Head of Lombardy, my grandfather announced my succession.

He appointed Firentia Lombardy as the Deputy Head and the official successor to the Lombardy family.


PREV          |         TOC         |         NEXT

In This Life, I Will Be The Lord Chapter 214 In This Life, I Will Be The Lord Chapter 214 Reviewed by Admin on December 06, 2021 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.