In This Life, I Will Be The Lord Chapter 216



﹡ ⊰  Chapter 216  ⊱ ⊹ ﹡


Surprised, my grandfather opened his eyes wide and stared at me for a long time.

"How did you know?"

Fortunately, it seemed that he had no intention of hiding it until the end.

"If I tell you, will you be honest with me?"

"I will." Grandfather grinned as he put down the teacup.

"The announcement of the succession was too fast."

I sighed softly and began to elaborate.

"It's natural to help my grandfather as a Deputy Head and gradually learn things. It's a procedure that usually takes several years. But my grandfather did it in just over a month."

"Isn't it just because I liked you to run things so badly?"

"That's possible. That's what I thought at first, so I never questioned it. However..."

I shook my head.

"I noticed yesterday when you called me to the place where you gathered the vassals. What happened yesterday wasn't just to inform the vassals of my grandfather's decision to take me as the deputy head, am I right?"

At my words, a light smile passed over my grandfather's face.

"Then what do you think it was?"

"....It's an interview for a successor. In a short period, the lords had prepared to ask questions about me that would convince them to approve of me."

Due to the nature of Lombardy's vassals, who have very high loyalty to the Head of the family, the outstanding devotion of the old vassals to the Head sometimes becomes a problem.

The circumstance of not accepting and trusting a new Family Head sometimes occurs.

Therefore, it is not only the current Head's authority to decide the next Head, but the vassals must be fully convinced of the decision as well.

That way, when a change of Head occurs, the power gap can be minimized as much as possible without ending in an upheaval.

And this is something that happens naturally through a succession process that takes place over several years.

The Head entrusts big and small things to the Deputy Head or the successor, and this naturally creates opportunities to work and collide with the vassals.

Then, when the successor finally becomes the Head, the vassals will already know what the new Head Lombardy is like, in what areas they can do well, and what they need their help with.

"Unless I have to make the vassals my own in a very short period, my grandfather is not the kind of person to make such a decision."

I could have even made a slip of the tongue in front of the lord vassals.

Or instead of capturing them, they could have been discouraged.

But my grandfather wanted me to be recognized quickly by the lords, even at the risk of that.

"Am I right?"

"... I really can't fool you." 

My grandfather laughed. It was a very tired laugh.

"How badly is it?" With a lump forming in my throat, my voice coming out sounded terrible.

"Haa...Tia worries a lot."

My grandfather laughed lightly, but I couldn't laugh.

I thought I had changed the future enough by going back to the past, but there may be exceptions this time.

There may exist a law of regression that I don't know.

For example, a person's lifespan is fixed and cannot be changed.

"Estira's medicine is working well. Don't worry too much." My grandfather said, stroking my head.

"I was just being impatient because if I had to overdo it or put my mind to it, my body wouldn't listen like last time."

I stared into my grandfather's eyes. It was because I was afraid that it would come true.

"Ohh, no need to worry!"

Grandfather smiled a little awkwardly at my constant concern.

He keeps stroking my head.

I quietly raised my hand and pulled down the hand of my grandfather that was stroking my head.

"...Since when have you been like this?"

Grandfather's hands were trembling slightly against his will.

"When I woke up today, it was already like this."

Grandfather spoke nonchalantly as if it were someone else's business.

"I have already been examined by Dr. Estira. She said that there is no change in my body and it seems to be a temporary symptom. Look, I'm fine."

My grandfather laughed, clenching and unclenching his hands.

I was a little relieved by this gesture. It's a simple act, but I know it would cease to move if my grandfather's illness gets worse.

"I'm like this because I am relaxed. It's all because I feel at ease."

"Grandfather..."

"I've been running Lombardy on my own for decades, and now that I think I have a reliable granddaughter that will take over, my body seems to become a bit lazy."

What do you mean by lazy?

The Grandfather I know is the farthest person that you can call 'lazy'.

"Time is catching up with me lately."

"Then, shall I put off being a successor?"

"Hey now!"

My joke left a little bit of loneliness on my grandfather's face.

He then looked out of the window and said, "I have no regrets about the years I lived for Lombardy. But looking back, I have lived my life only for Lombardy."

My grandfather's face, bright in the sunlight, looked serious today.

"I thought I was doing my best. But I guess I still have regrets."

I followed my grandfather's gaze and looked outside.

"Let go of me! I'm going to meet my father! Let go!!"

Vieze was screaming as he was being dragged by the guards.

"I said it in passing, but it would be great if I could go back to the past and live again."

Mumbling in a low voice, my grandfather turned his head and looked at me.

"I'm sorry, Tia."

"Why would you apologize?"

"I let you carry a huge load on your shoulder because of the family's matter."

It seemed to be the situation about Vieze, who is staying in the Lombardy mansion with a modest status, and Bellesac, who was still held in the Imperial Palace.

"Tia."

"Yes, Grandpa."

"Maybe I should have given you the position of the Family Head earlier than I thought."

"I understand." I immediately replied with a nod.

In my previous life, my grandfather continued to work until the very end.

It was my role to assist in his work, so I know how hard and lonely he was at that time.

"Please give me all the hard tasks and just take a rest."

Then grandfather will live a much longer life than before.

I'll make it that way.

"Aren't you afraid?"

"No."

"You, aren't you being bold?"

"I'm confident because I don't have to do it alone anyway." I said as I shrugged.

"There are vassal lords who can help me and I also have Aunt Shannanet to ask for help if there is something I don't know. And above all, I have my grandfather."

"...Yes, being the Head doesn't mean you have to do everything alone."

Grandfather's warm brown eyes looked at me.

"So Grandpa, please be honest with me from now on. Especially when it comes to your health." I said, holding my grandfather's hand tightly.

"...Yes, I will."

"Don't hide it or anything in case you worry about me. You have to be honest with me so I will be able to help you easily." I said, deliberately, with a slightly brighter voice.

"If your eyes get dim, I'll read all the documents and books for you. If walking becomes difficult, I will make you a wheelchair and take you anywhere you want. Let's go for a walk in the garden where Grandmother loves to watch the sunset with you, Grandpa."

"Tia..."

Grandfather held my hand tightly together.

And he laughed with me and said in a joking tone.

"Then will you tell me if you can't do it anymore if it's becoming too hard?"

"No." I shook my head as I said with confidence.

"I can do it all."

I've been doing it all for years in my previous life.

"Yes, yes."

Grandpa didn't seem to believe me.

However, his heart seemed to have gotten much better, and the trembling of his hand had subsided.

I talked to my grandfather for a while. And cautiously brought up the second purpose of visiting my grandfather today.

"And there's one thing I need permission for, Grandpa."

***

The Lombardy's carriage I rode reached the entrance to the Imperial Palace.

From a distance, I could see the Knights of the Imperial Palace. They were seen rushing to open the gates after confirming Lombardy's family crest.

Lombardy's carriages are open to any palace without being checked.

Considering that the Imperial force cannot enter the Lombardy mansion, it is an unfair treaty.

It just meant that if I wanted to, I could go to the palace where the Empress resided.

However, my destination today is not the Empress Palace.

"Will you take me to the Knights building?"

The coachman drove my carriage to the headquarters of the Imperial Knights.

Soon after, I was standing in front of a large three-story building made of black bricks.

"What's the matter...why is the young lady here?" The knight who was guarding the front approached and asked.

It seems he knows who I am, even though his face was expressionless, he still looked uneasy.

"I've come to meet the officer in charge of the attempted murder case of His Majesty."

I raised my head confidently, feeling the countless gazes focused on me, and asked, "Is His Highness the Second Prince here?"

"Well, yes, but he is currently interrogating—"

"Please call him here."

"... Pardon?" The knight got flustered and asked me back.

"I told you to bring me His Highness the Second Prince."

"How dare you come and demand for His Highness...Also, he's officially on duty."

"If I were you, I wouldn't be asking like that if you know who you are having a conversation with."

Only then did a certain expression pass on the face of the Imperial Knight.

I looked straight at the Knight and said word by word.

"Go and tell him 'the Deputy Head of Lombardy wants to see His Highness.'" Then, I smiled brightly.

"Can you do it?"

"Y, yes."

The Knight quickly disappeared into the building.

"I can't believe you let your guest stand on the road." I mumbled to myself.

I felt unfairly treated, but I didn't blame the Knight for his lack of front desk skills.

I won't wait long anyway.

I thought so and watched the knight through the window.

He went up to the second floor, opened a door near the stairs, and went inside.

It's probably the interrogation room.

And it wasn't until a few seconds later.

Bam!

Immediately, the door opened and Perez popped out.

I could see him running down the stairs, half flying.

When he looked at me still standing on the road in front of the door, he ran faster.

Afterward, a series of Imperial Knights and the Knight Commander who we had met each other at the last hunting competition followed behind.

Perez quickly approached and asked, "How come you didn't come in?"

"How can I get in when no one has invited me in?"

At my words, Perez glared at the knight guard.

"I apologize!"

"It's fine. I'm not here for an apology." I said so and told Perez.

"Today, I'm here to do my official duty as a Deputy Head of Lombardy."

"Official duty?"

Even at the moment, I can't believe this is my first official job as a Deputy Head.

However, as Deputy Head, I can't pretend not to know anymore.

"Please transfer Bellesac Lombardy's case to the Lombardy family, Your Highness."


PREV          |         TOC         |         NEXT

In This Life, I Will Be The Lord Chapter 216 In This Life, I Will Be The Lord Chapter 216 Reviewed by Admin on December 08, 2021 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.